Prep Your Home for Holiday Travel with These 6 Tips
Posted by Team TASER on November 29, 2016
Whether you’ve been anticipating that father-son ski trip for months, or dreading the annual visit to the wife’s in-laws for twice as long – travel is synonymous with winter and the holidays.
This year, ensure that when you head out, you’re leaving your home in the safest shape possible.
We’ve made the checklist easier with these 6 Tips to Prep Your Home for Holiday Travel:
1. Keep the loot at home – It’s inevitable you will want to show off all your brand new swag around the Holidays. But, if you’re going on a trip, leave your newly-opened presents back at the house. The last thing you want is to be mugged on vacation for your new Apple Watch.
2. Bail on the boxes – On that note, fresh boxes for TV’s, video game consoles and new cookware let any roaming thieves know that you have a house full of new treasures. Don’t leave them in a pile – break them down, donate them, or recycle them!
3. Put the house on “Do Not Disturb” Mode – While you’re gone, stop the newspaper, have a friend grab your mail, and think about setting your house light on a timer. Piles of old papers and a dark house are two tell-all signs that your house is clear to rob.
4. Don’t forget to “Power Down” – In the cold months, your house works overtime to keep you feeling comfortable. Shopping already took a toll on your wallet, so save some dough by turning off the thermostat, unplugging all appliances, and shutting the water line off so your pipes don’t freeze!
5. Tell a friend – Let a friend, family member, or neighbor know where you are going, when you will be back, and any necessary contact information. This not only ensures you have someone to periodically check-up on your house, but also gives you an emergency contact if something unexpected goes wrong.
6. Save Facebook for later – Social media is essentially a public advertisement of your life, and posting while on vacation is a PSA that your home is empty and vulnerable. Let everyone know about how you swam with dolphins when you get back…we promise it can wait.
Now you can relax, knowing you have the peace of mind that your house is prepped for your departure.
Just don’t forget the boarding passes like last time!